[geeklog-devel] Spellchecking

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Thu Aug 7 18:36:41 EDT 2003

I have created a very simple PHP class that integrates spell checking
into a PHP application.  I have attached the tarball to this message.
After Dirk's bugfix release this weekend I plan on implementing the
spell checking as an option in the 1.3.x.  This will requiring editing
of some or all of GL's editors. I will probably start simple by adding
it to the story and comment editors as they already support preview
functionality making integration easy.  I'm open to suggestions on which
of the other editors should have spellchecking capabilities.  Any forms
which do not support the notion of previewing are going to take more
work and we need to balance the power of this with the question of 'is
it worth it'.

Blaine, as a personal suggestion, I'd love to see spell checking support
added to the forum.  The attached tarball has a test page in it that
would show you basically how it works and I think you will quickly see
how easy it really will be to integrate into the forum since you already
support the preview concept.  This spellchecker class will check the
spelling on a bit of text and return that text back with all mispelled
words highlighted.  You can customize how the highlight works through
class methods but it defaults by using a span with a yellow background.
It will also insert suggested corrections into the title attribute of
the span tag so if you hover your mouse over the highlighted word you
will see them.

FYI, this spell checker requires apsell/pspell be installed and PHP
compiled with the --with-pspell option.

Input (and testing) is encouraged.