[geeklog-devel] Spelling interface ready for testing...

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Dec 2 00:01:36 EST 2003

I have finally completed the spellchecker code I am planning to use in
Geeklog 2.  As you might guess, there is nothing precluding it from
being used in 1.3.x so I am attaching the file along with the modified
CVS files needed to get this working on admin/story.php.

Dirk, if you could test it's use on another language that would be
great.  I have already tested this on windows.  If you tested an alpha
of what I had a few months ago, this is *much* easier to use.  My prior
version used the native PHP functions (pspell) which is a PITA to get
working both on *nix and windows.  This version simply needs a working
aspel binary which is called using shell_exec().

For those needing more info here is what we have:

1) Uses only the Aspell binary (http://aspell.net)
2) Capable of supporting multiple languages
3) Able to highlight misspelled words.  By default it uses a set of span
tags and the title attribute gets the suggested spellings put into it.
This allows you to see the suggestions by hovering over it with your mouse
4) I modified the config file to have a new set of entries for spell
checking.  By default I think we'd turn this feature off, no?
5) Works regardless of the postmode of the article
6) I have implemented with little effort for admin/story.php, I would
think one could update all possible areas of use in just a few hours

Oh, before I forget, to use the attached files, be sure to put
PHPSpellChecker.class.php into the /path/to/geeklog/system/classes/
directory.

Questions welcomed and, of course, more testers welcome.  PHPDoc file
forthcoming (I don't have PHPDoc installed here at home).

--Tony

|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |
|tony at tonybibbs.com |system, the fact is that every man in jail is one |
|                   |less potential fisherman to clutter up your       |
|                   |favorite pool or pond. --Ed Zern                  |