[geeklog-devel] FW: email validation

Jason Whittenburg me at jasonwhittenburg.com
Tue Feb 18 16:08:16 EST 2003

+ is never valid in a domain name, a domain name must start with a
letter and could be followed by zero or more letters, digits and
hyphens, but cannot end with a hyphen.  See RFC 1034 and RFC 1035 for
domain names.

It used to be you wouldn't use + in an email address because of UUCP
routing, etc...  But, + should be technically legal.  According to the
RFC 822 you can use chars in the range #33..#126 except ()<>@,;:\/".[].
Also, according to the RFC, extended characters (#128..#255) cannot be
part of an email address, however many mail servers accept them and
people use them.

-----
Jason Whittenburg
Internet Security Systems, Inc.