[geeklog-devel] Forum Issues

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Feb 26 12:04:05 EST 2003

Tom Willett <tomw at pigstye.net> wrote:

>On gplugs, quotes are an issue and the server has gpc quoting on.  I solved
>this by just commenting out the check for gpc quotes.  On a server at my
>office it also has gpc on the quotes are not an issue.  For a test I
>commented out the gpc test and it worked fine.  I think if you just ignore
>the gpc quote test, you will be alright.

Actually, I think there's a misunderstanding here as to what the
magic_quotes_gpc settting is all about. The "gpc" stands for "Get, Post,
Cookie", i.e. this setting does only apply to the handling of quotes in
case of GET or POST requests as well as Cookies. It does NOT apply for
quotes in SQL requests - that would be magic_quotes_runtime.

So, as Tom said, ignoring the magic_quotes_gpc settting and always using
addslashes() before storing anything in the database would work. This is
also how Geeklog does it (although that could be considered a bug since
it doesn't check for the setting of magic_quotes_runtime).

http://www.macosx-faq.de/