[geeklog-devel] Slashdot story: Dual licensing

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Jan 13 20:48:38 EST 2003

This is interesting. I thought I'd jot my thoughts down here as it
relates to Geeklog:

1) Odds of Geeklog being package as part of another commercial solutions
is slim unless we make the GL2 engine a true development platform (i.e.
GL is sorta like .net where you can code against it).
2) I see the revenue streams in custom plug-ins and by dinging ISP's who
, of late, are offering Geeklog to make money but none have yet 'given
back'.  I think an ISP or other company offering GL as a product should
either have to pay a royalty OR commit development time (all code is
retained by us, of course).

I'm not sure a dual license is needed.  Do we see a need to release
parts of Geeklog 2 under different licenses?  For example should the
core GL2 engine be under one license and the article and file management
plugins be offered under a different one?

In the end, as long as hobbyists and do-it-yourselfers get GL for free
and organizations and business have to pay in certain cases I'd be quite
happy.

--Tony

--
|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |