[geeklog-devel] GL2 Schema

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Fri Jan 17 22:50:18 EST 2003

Dwight,

As promised, here are bits and pieces of a schema I started a while
back.  You will have a lot of questions (if not I'll be worried) as this
schema has major holes and areas for improvement.  Here are my concerns
at this time:

1) This schema was the cart that came before the horse.  Since starting
this, we have started to step back and do detailed requirements
gathering for various sub systems.  As a result the schema will change
radically and we'll need your help to keep it up-to-date for the three
supported DBMS's (MySQL 4, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server)

2) The only table fairly nailed down will be the session table which is
below. Please ignore the session table in the attached schema.

CREATE TABLE gl_sessions (
   session_id varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
   expiration int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
   value text NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY  (session_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

3) I have parts of the A&A system done.  Here is the SQL for that
section so far:

http://cvs.geeklog.net/chora/co.php/A_and_A/server/sql/mysql.sql

4) As I mentioned we will support MySQL 4.  That version supports a
number of common features found in 'real' DBMS's...particularly foriegn
keys.  The schema attached was written for MySQL 3.x so the syntax will
need to change.  Also, we'll need to avoid using MyISAM and instead use
InnoDB table types.  I know probably as much about PostgreSQL and MS SQL
Server as the next idiot.  We'll depend on you to manage this properly.

You next step should be to combine all these into one file and then
create files for each DBMS.  From there we will start including you in
on the development requirements gathering process so you can get
familiar with the needs the database will need to accomodate.  Then with
myself and the other developers design the right data structures and
overall design needed to start implementation.

First on the list will be localization.  We'll be in touch once the
localization requirements are done which I hope will be as early as the
middle of next week.

Thanks for volunteering.  I hope this works out as we need a competent
DBA so us developers stop acting like we know it all ;-)

--Tony

--
|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |