[geeklog-devel] Gettext and ISP's

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Jan 21 18:27:50 EST 2003

Actually, if we do this we'll use the factory design pattern to get a
valid translation object.  That code would look more like this:

$translator = &TranslationFactory::getTranslator();
echo $translater->gettext('some arbitrary text');

The translation factory would determine if they configured stuff for
gettext or not and send back the right object.

The main problem with supporting both is you have to translate twice which
would be a major PITA for translaters and, my guess is you will only get
one or the other methods...not both.

--Tony

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, LIMBURG, Mark wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>  > Is it safe to assume most ISP's have PHP configured with
>  > gettext support? Or should we remove that as an assumption
>  > and support both gettext() and the current translation
>  > method as well?
>
> Well, one of our guides is that GL will run pretty much on as many systems
> as we can make it, so I guess having a ...
>
>   if( gettext() )
>   {
>     do this;
>   }
>   else
>   {
>     do that;
>   }
>
> ... makes sense.  We'll need the same type of environment to handle the evil
> magic_quote option as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Limburg
> Team Leader, Unix Operations, Information Systems
>
> BAE SYSTEMS, AUSTRALIA
> PO Box 1068, Salisbury
> South Australia,  5108
> Phone: +61 8 8480 7971
> Fax:   +61 8 8480 8866
> Mobile:+61 4 0448 0599

Tony Bibbs         | "I guess you have to remember that those who don't |
tony at tonybibbs.com | hunt or fish often see those of us who do as       |
                   | harmlessly strange and sort of amusing. When you   |
                   | think about it, that might be a fair assessment."  |
                   | --Unknown                                          |