[geeklog-devel] Re: GL2 Schema

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Jan 21 18:30:03 EST 2003

> Have we thought how we will be addressing the more advanced features on some
> db's ... transactions, stored procedures and triggers come immediatly to
> mind.  Whilst it would be a Good Thing (tm) to support all these, problems
> would arise across products and even versions.
>
> MySQL4 handles transactions fairly well, but stored procedures and triggers
> arn't possible yet.  A simple stored procedure process may be possible by
> having an 'interpretation layer' - where dbs like postgresql and oracle can
> just execute the stored procedure, and other db's would need to have a bit
> more php code to juggle/handle the output.

PEAR::DB has the is_supported() function (or something like that) for
checking if a DBMS supports something like transactions, SP's, triggers.
We can just use that.  That way we leverage features of the DBMS and, if
we have to, we can still handle with PHP code.

--
Tony Bibbs         | "I guess you have to remember that those who don't |