[geeklog-devel] Re: GL2 Schema

Dwight Trumbower dwight at trumbower.com
Wed Jan 22 11:18:07 EST 2003

At 08:20 PM 1/21/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Dwight Trumbower wrote:
>>Let's see if I understand the relationships.
>>Items
>>  has a User, Type, State and Category
>
>Items is a generic structure that abstracts the most common things that
>*all* modules will need.  So what you said makes sense.  *All* modules
>will have a record in this table as well as their own specific table. So ,
>as you noted below, one article will have a record in the item table and
>the article table.  This may seem a bit counter intuitive with a
>one-to-one relationship but does it makes sense why I drew it up like this?

I  call it a super set and sub set. Common way to design systems. Sometimes
you can get a way with adding everything in one table, especially if you
have two small sub sets. From a logical view you should split it out and
9/10ths of the time your physical model will be split out too.

If all goes well I should have the design done for all three platforms by
midnight tonight(CTZ). Barring no problems from paying clients, hockey and
borderline sick baby.

I will post the schema to this list plus have links to it with a diagram.

Dwight
dwight at trumbower.com