[geeklog-devel] eWeek story on Open Source CMS

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Thu Jan 23 10:27:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Tom Willett wrote:

> While setting on my throne this morning catching up on my reading I ran
> across this story in eWeek

> It briefly talks about phpnuke, eZ Publish, and Bricolage (no Geeklog).  As
> plans are being made for G2 (ooh how about that for a name) some of the
> comments made there we should keep in mind.  Briefly what I picked up on as
> lacking in these:
>
> 1)  Easy install

Yeah, we have already started down this path with Jason's script

> 2)  Difficulty changing look and feel

Templates aren't the easiest.  I'm still open for suggestions.  I told
dirk that maybe we should provide a *really* easy way to edit templates
via a webpage.  Only thing is you will want to ahve some sort of safe mode
theme for when somebody really messes up a theme.

> 3)  Poorly documented/structured code making modes difficult

Documentation is still key.  I think we have a guy to do end-user docs
(simon is Richard still on board?).  Well structured code is obviously one
of my big priorities and PHPDoc will round things out.

> 4)  Lack of version control??

This is a bit fuzzy for me.  What do they want to version?  Stories?
Documents? (I suppose I should read the article when I'm done with this)

> 5)  Too rapid release schedule making keeping up to date hard

RedHat took an interesting approach.  They have the desktop stuff, right.
TI is updated like every 5 months or so.  Then with Advanced Server they
have a much longer release cycle. Could we do something similar?

> 6)  Permissions system

I'm assuming that even 1.3.x has this covered sufficiently, no?  Maybe not
in all places but the engine itself is adequate/

> 7)  Workflow apps

Eewwww, that could get nasty.  Do we really want to get in the business of
workflow?  If so, I admit I know nothing about implementing such systems
and I would need help digging up such requirements.

> Check it out.
>
> --
> Tom Willett
> tomw at pigstye.net

Tony Bibbs         | "I guess you have to remember that those who don't |
tony at tonybibbs.com | hunt or fish often see those of us who do as       |
                   | harmlessly strange and sort of amusing. When you   |
                   | think about it, that might be a fair assessment."  |
                   | --Unknown                                          |