[geeklog-devel] Translation possibility

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Jan 29 15:46:36 EST 2003

Actually, that is the point of the XML file.  We could automate the
creation of the XML file by running a script against all the PHP code.
Then you just point the developers in one place.  Thus, in your code you
have stuff like:

$trans->getText('some english phrase');
$trans->getText('some other phrase');
etc.

Then,
#>glgettext.sh > translation.xml

Then give the XML file to all the translators.  When you get it back you
can leave it in the XML *or*:

#>glmakepo.sh translatedfile.xml > somegettext.po

Then you run some gettext function against to .po to get the binary .mo
file so gettext can use it.

Did this make any sense?  Beauty is, you don't need an english translation
file at all which saves you time while your coding from having to go to
english.php to add some text everytime you need to print something.

--Tony