[geeklog-devel] Favor

Dwight Trumbower dwight at trumbower.com
Wed Jan 29 17:34:32 EST 2003

Short for cost per thousand (the letter "M" in the abbreviation is the
Roman numeral for one thousand). CPM is used by Internet marketers to price
ad banners. Sites that sell advertising will guarantee an advertiser a
certain number of impressions (number of times an ad banner is downloaded
and presumably seen by visitors.), then set a rate based on that guarantee
times the CPM rate. A Web site that has a CPM rate of $25 and guarantees
advertisers 600,000 impressions will charge $15,000 ($25 x 600) for those
advertisers' ad banner.