[geeklog-devel] 1.3.8 and onwards

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Jul 1 04:11:15 EDT 2003

Blaine Lang <geeklog at langfamily.ca> wrote:

>Well,  I have some more enhancements that I'd like to see in 1.3.8 and still
>am holding out that they can make it into the final release ;)

Please hold them back a little longer. As in "until 1.3.9", actually.

Guys, I really want to do it "right" this time. We have a Release
Candidate out, i.e. something that we consider a finished product. It
only needs a little testing, bug fixes, documentation updates, and, of
course, updated language files.

Development of 1.3.8 has taken long enough already. If you look back,
1.3.7 came out in *December*. So if all goes well, there will be seven
month between the final 1.3.7 and 1.3.8 releases. That, obviously, is too
long a release cycle.

I'd like to get 1.3.8 out now, as it is, and as stable as possible. We
can then immediately jump into 1.3.9 development, adding all those nice
features you already have. That would be a good start for a switch to
shorter release cycles, actually.

>So far, this RC is looking good.

Exactly. And I'd like it to stay that way.

We already received the first updated translations, people have started
updating their themes, etc. So any further changes we introduce now, will
only cause confusion - and I'd like to avoid that.

I'm planning on doing some bugfixes today and tomorrow. And if you really
can't hold back any longer, we could always branch CVS and have a
"stable" branch, aiming at the 1.3.8 release (bugfixes only), and the
main branch, aiming at 1.3.9. Of course, that would mean that any fixes
would have to be applied to both branches, so I would only go that route
if you feel it's absolutely necessary.

bye, Dirk


More information about the geeklog-devel mailing list