[geeklog-devel] Comments to templates

LIMBURG, Mark mark.limburg at baesystems.com
Tue Jun 17 19:38:26 EDT 2003

Howdy

 > So you are volunteering to help out hundreds of site owners who all want
 > to upgrade their sites to that new version at the same time?

90% of these changes are trivial.  I could macro most of them.  So, yes.

 > Also, it's not clear if replacing the template engine would actually help
 > here.  The comment code is recursive and making sure tags are properly
 > closed and nested is not trivial. I'd suggest you have a look at it ...

Dirk, I have had a look at it.  I looked into doing this when we moved from
1.2 remember.

The whole point of shifting to a block based templating system fixes this
issue as you alter the code to return single/multiple blocks within
wrappers, all of which can be nested.  This FIXES this issue.  Think about
how recursive calcualting and displaying a forum is, which is why phpBB2
went down this path.

 > Yes, I know. And I seem to remember that we came to the conclusion that
 > replacing the template system with something that is not compatible is
 > not an option.

I fully understand where you're coming from, but I must disagree.  It *IS*
an option; it is just not an easy one.  I believe I offered a solution to a
problem which currently has no other solution, a problem which has haunted
the project since we half-implemented our first template system.  And until
we bite the bullet and accept that something as serious as the way we
display a site is fixed, it will continue to hamper us - both as site owners
and as developers.

I'll shut up now, but I can't help wonder how not fixing this problem will
help - painful as it is.

Regards

Mark Limburg

Operations Support Team Leader