[geeklog-devel] Search engine indexing...

Tom Willett tomw at pigstye.net
Mon Mar 10 10:39:52 EST 2003

Simon,

I know there has been a lot of talk about the problem of urls like Geeklog
has, but I have never had a problem with any of the search engines spidering
my geeklog sites and returning results.  I think it is a bogus issue to some
extent.

Saying that I have noticed one issue with geeklog sites and that is very
often the links are to pages of the index that no longer point to the
article.  And the entire article is not indexed only the teaser.  To get
around this issue I created a simple site index with direct links to all the
articles on the site.  This works fairly well.  About the same time Vinny
developed a method to use apache rewrite rules to create a google friendly
link and we modified the theme to place this link on each article.  You can
see both these in action on http://gplugs.sf.net.  An article discussing
them can be found here:

http://gplugs.sourceforge.net/article.php?story=2003011606465372

My searches on google and others have not shown much use of the rewritten
article links.  I am not sure it is worth the effort.

Some others have modified my siteindex to make it people friendly but my
testing shows that just confuses the bots.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:11:06 -0500, Simon Lord wrote