[geeklog-devel] Re: Geeklog 2 Module API

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Oct 20 17:46:31 EDT 2003

Please note that GL2 has messenging capabilities built into the core
parts of the code (as shown by the data model).  I couldn't agree more,
modules may want to make use of this for sure.

As for modules interacting with one another, I think we need to
implement observer/observable patterns.  In this scenario, a module can
register events with Geeklog (e.g. on submission, on delete, on update,
etc).  For each event, another module can register as an observer to the
event of another.

This isn't anything but I"m suggesting methods like this:

// this, would be called during an installation of a module
function registerEvents($eventArray);

// this is called by the module when an event occurs
function raiseEvent($eventName);

// This is implemented by the listener of some othe module
function handleEvent($moduleName, $eventName);

This make sense?

--Tony

Blaine Lang wrote:
> Vinny,
>
> I like the idea of having the plugin register itself with their capabilties.
> As Tom notes, there may also be a way for a plugin to advertise new services
> that may be available.
>
> - Examples that I have close to release are:
> 1) Support for Smilies - Add/Edit Admin plus the replace functions but
> standard Story Edit and Comment functions could also use this
> 2) Private Messenger - The one in chatterblock was a quick hack compared to
> the new one I have now but other plugins may want to leverage this feature.
> Example, I created a Project Mgmt Plugin for a client and they wanted the
> options to received task notifications via the Private Messenger.
>
> Another example is an image mgmt plugin that would provide a service to
> allow users to add images to stories or other plugins that have content
> functionality.
>
> But as Tom notes, we will need someway to facilite or mediate over
> conflicts.
>
> Would there be a need to have or want a plugin function replace a core
> function ?
>
> I was not sure if you have used the most recent release when you reviewed
> the PLG API functions. Dirk has added a number of new ones for syndication.
>
> What about an internal Messaging protocal or service for plugins and Core
> compoents to share or exchange information ?
>
> GL 1.3.8 Added the new functions to extend the User and Account Profiles -
> this was a great addition. If only now we had a way to auto extend or modify
> the templates. GL2 will need to support a much improved template engine as
> noted many times < but I digress off topic>
> Is there a need to add an API to add/edit information to the cookie or
> session variables ?
>
> I can't think of any new API's that are needed. The 1.3.x framework has been
> very good at fleshing this out and it's been nicely extended over the past
> year.  I have not looked at XOOPS2 to see what they have done -  that may be
> helpfull for ideas.
>
> I'd like to see a way to import in a new plugin. Similar to a JAR file - a
> zip file with the defined structure. The Plugin installer would un-archive
> the contents, create the directories and run the installer script. I'd put
> my hand up to work on that one. I think we need to also look at the Block
> admin and have a similar feature.
>
> Note: We may want to move some of the GL2 Discussion to the Geeklog.net
> Forum. I can create a Developers Category and Forums that are restricted.

|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |
|tony at tonybibbs.com |system, the fact is that every man in jail is one |
|                   |less potential fisherman to clutter up your       |
|                   |favorite pool or pond. --Ed Zern                  |