[geeklog-devel] Fwd: GL2 Feature Request

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Dec 7 13:59:28 EST 2004

---------------- Anfang Weiterleitung ----------------
Betreff: GL2 Feature Request
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 11:53 Uhr
Von: John Serrao
An: Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de>

Hello Dirk -

>From what I can tell you are kinda in charge of Geeklog - its an awesome
piece of software so good job.  Ive noticed you guys are going to a new
version and had a discussion about new features people might want to see
- well i thought of one.

I deployed your system for this non-profit group and no one over there
knows anything about HTML so it has put a large administrative burden on
me that I had never intended.  Everytime they want to add an HTML page
its a disaster area.  Ive made them 2-3 HTML templates with 8000 comments
on them but they are still confused often.  They deal with globalization
issues so they are publishing news almost daily but it kinda falls
outside of the blog-sphere so they like to add them as static pages.
They are nice people so its no big deal to help them a bit (takes me like
2 seconds) but I see a way around this.

I ran into this product some other people use for super simple HTML
additions to a website that is dumbed down enough for people who don't
know any HTML.  It was called City Desk - I found it on the net here:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/index.html

Anyway, watch that demo they offer - the program appears to set up a PHP
template and then drops the HTML stories into it as needed.  I think
Geeklog could do something like this - like a little link in the admin
section that says "Static Page additions for people who dont know HTML" -
you click on it and you can just drop text into a file that then drops
the text into a pre-determined template.  It probably wouldnt even be
that difficult to pull off - considering i think thats what GL does now
with the blog-side of the software (but im not really sure)

Maybe this is a bit out of the scope of what you guys are trying to do
but Ive seen other GL installs for organizations that probably face the
same problems that I do.  I bet this would be a huge help to many.

Great product - keep up the work.  If you need some help doing something
not too terribly technical I would gladly offer some assistance.

John Serrao

http://mypod.de/