[geeklog-devel] Framework

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Dec 13 13:49:48 EST 2004

Dirk Haun wrote:

>I got it to work eventually (with the new tarball and after installing
>the Creole, Flexy, and Log packages).

Yeah, I'll add a comment about those.  I should have included Creole in
with the Propel stuff so that would go away in a 'real' application.
Obviously the Flexy/Log stuff would need to work similar to 1.3.x where
you can get all required 3rd party code in a tarball or install it
yourself via 'pear install'.

>Well, sort of - can't add any new
>hunts ("Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint
>fails") but the rest seems to work.

I'll recheck the create.sql and make sure I haven't made any changes.
This should work for the most part.

>Plain-text passwords in the database? Tsk, tsk, ... ;-)

Yeah, just didn't want to fight with MD5's while building it ;-)

>I agree that it's really nice to see how much it does with that small
>amount of code (your code, that is[1]) which is typical for good OO-based
>designs. But this needs a *good* set of development docs to get people
>started (myself included ...).

I agree on the docs portion of it.  I guess I was hoping on some initial
feedback before I put the time needed to do the development documents
together.  Didn't want to make that investment if it got picked apart
too bad.

Did you have any input on the use of MVC, Propel or the Data Access
Layer?  Also, any thoughts on how Flexy was used?  Any input for or
against would be nice.

>[1] You need a a huge amount of 3rd party code as compared to the code
>that actually makes up the application. But that ratio would get better
>when you're actually developing an application as big as Geeklog. This is
>obvious, I guess - just wanted to point it out again :-)

Right, the Propel/Creole code along with the PEAR libraries are going to
make up for a fairly substantial amount of the total code.  Good thing,
though, is it is code wouldn't have to maintain.

Thanks for taking a look,