[geeklog-devel] Look-up Tables in GL2

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 16:29:45 EST 2004

Right now I'm leaning toward using the Translation2's gettext for
doing all the translation.  It's pretty smooth, very fast, and will
even work on PHP installs without gettext support (though obviously
not as quickly as with gettext support).  Another advantage is that
we'll be able to modify the translation files online via a web-based
administration tool.

I didn't want to go with database for a couple reasons.  If we went
the database root we'd have to do caching and other tricks for speed
or else performance would be really awful.  Also Translation2 only
supports PEAR::DB, which would mean a hassle since Propel only
supports Creole.  We'd either have to run with two DB abstraction
layers (really, really bad) or else port one or the other library to
the other DB layer (more work then I think any of us want to commit
two).  Besides that I don't see any big advantages to using the DB
over gettext.  If anyone knows of any please speak up now.

Also I encourage people to try out Translation2 if you get the chance.
 Though its not necessary, I think you'll get a kick out of how easy
it will make things.

</$.02>

-Vinny