[geeklog-devel] Framework

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 00:15:39 EST 2004

Tony (and everyone),

This response was a long time in coming but hopefully it will be worth
it.  I now know more than I really ever wanted to about what Tony
would like to see in a Hunting Log. :)

Most everything looks to be on the up and up.  I really liked how
Propel and the MVCnPHP interact to make an application really easy to
put together.  I'm even starting to get used to the idea of having a
central store to keep SQL queries (though it still seems a bit
strange).  We're going to need to expand it though to be able to
handle different queries for different databases (hopefully a rare
occurrence, but something I could easily see happening).

Concerns: Creole.  I'm sure its good, and everything I've read about
it seems positive but it isn't in wide spread use and I have yet to
see a performance benchmark with it compared to some of the other DB
abstraction layers.  The only reason I'm worried is that a slow
abstraction layer can hamstring the speed of the entire program.  This
was seen a couple years ago when ADODB was 2-3x faster than PEAR::DB.
I know a few projects that were using PEAR and suffered as a result (I
understand that PEAR::DB has improved a lot since then, this was just
an example).

Dislikes: I don't like using the DAO to abstract past the Propel
classes.  It seems silly and $dao->save($hunt) makes less sense to me
than $hunt->save().  I understand you want to abstact in case we
decide to replace Propel (or Creole, or something) some time in the
distant future, but I think we could do that just as easily by
changing the $hunt class, or inheriting it and overloading the
necessary functions.

And a note, I haven't actually looked at the code inside Propel or
Creole.  Unless someone (Tony) has taken a look, it might be a small
risk that the code may be unmaintainable (though I doubt it).  While
Tony pointed out all this code is supported.  If any of these projects
one day die we may have to pick it up just to keep GL2 working...  We
really shouldn't depend on code that we would not be willing to
maintain if push came to shove.

-Vinny