[geeklog-devel] Negative side effect of comment spam filtering

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 01:03:51 EST 2004

If we're redirecting to the front page I don't think this will be a
problem.  It sounds like MT is re-building the site front page when a
spam comment comes in (i.e. no redirect).  This is a problem because
the page gets build even if the spammer just through out a HTTP post
request.  If you just send a redirect in response, likely the spammer
isn't going to have his software visit the front page (and slow the
number of spams he can put out).

Now, we may want to look at reducing overhead as much as possible
(*cough* lib-common.php *cough*) to minimize the impact of a spam
comment.

All of this is just a guess of course.  I've never seen any MT code
and I've only taken to most cursory look at our spamx plugin...
</twocents>

-Vinny