[geeklog-devel] Brainstorming: Admin Toolbox?

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Mon Jul 12 15:48:33 EDT 2004

Gentlemen,

I see a need for a set of scripts to do maintenance tasks and such (for
example, I just wrote a tiny script that does an OPTIMIZE TABLE on all
the  tables). It would be nice if there was a simple way to plug these
sorts of scripts into Geeklog without having to make them full-blown plugins.

Ideally, I would like to be able to just drop my script into some
predefined location and have Geeklog pick it up automatically. An admin-
only plugin "lite", so to speak.

I could imagine a link, say, "Site Maintenance" or "Admin Toolbox" (Hi
Tom), in the Admin block, which then presents a list of all the availble
mini-plugins (with a short description?).

I'd like this to be
- easy to install (one file per mini-plugin, one location)
- admin only
- the "wrapper" script could do the actual permission checks, so they
don't have to be coded again in each file

Any good ideas for an API, anyone?

bye, Dirk

P.S. As for the "Admin Toolbox" name: I think Tom's collection of scripts
under that name would also fit nicely into this.

http://mypod.de/