[geeklog-devel] GL2 and Unicode?

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Jul 30 17:50:37 EDT 2004

Tony,

>None, and I am ignorant on the subject.

I'm not exactly an expert either :-/

>What are the key issues? I
>assume this is related to internationalization, right?

The problem is that you need to be careful when doing string manipulation
on multi-byte strings. To quote from <http://www.php.net/mbstring>:

"When you manipulate (trim, split, splice, etc.) strings encoded in a
multibyte encoding, you need to use special functions since two or more
consecutive bytes may represent a single character in such encoding
schemes. Otherwise, if you apply a non-multibyte-aware string function to
the string, it probably fails to detect the beginning or ending of the
multibyte character and ends up with a corrupted garbage string that most
likely loses its original meaning."

http://geeklog.info/