[geeklog-devel] resolution to an ODD CSS issue

Blaine Lang geeklog at langfamily.ca
Wed Mar 3 00:04:55 EST 2004

While developing a CSS menu, I was having a real problem trying to get rid of a spacing issue that IE 6 was having.

My problem went away after adding the URI to the doctype specification in header.thtml for the XSilver theme.

   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html>

My problem actually goes away by just adding "http://www.w3.org".
Apparently with No URI present, IE 6 falls into "quirky" mode and was not interpreting the CSS correctly.

I am still learning CSS and SGML so maybe others want to comment on this and if we should be declaring the URI in the theme header.thtm files.
I was using XSilver but it appears all the themes are the same.

This is an MS Document that provides more information.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp

Blaine