[geeklog-devel] Sessions, again

Blaine Lang geeklog at langfamily.ca
Sun Sep 5 12:24:53 EDT 2004

Peter wrote:
> There are serious problems with the combination of session files and
> load-balanced web servers.

Yes, that is true and I have clients that I used PHP SESSIONS in such an
environment and they typically do have the infrastructure to support SESSION
based files. The number of Geeklog installs that run in such an environment
are probally .001%.

Are we to not consider moving forward because this and we are not making any
core changes to require sessions at this time. I have GL based client
plugins that now use sessions and it obviously is a positive development.

I personally just think we should include the PEAR library as it's pretty
small for now.

I want to move forward not backward and we are not making any core changes
at this time to require sessions.
I suggest adding a $_CONF parm that is off by default. If enabled it will
load the PEAR class and initiate sessions.

Otherwise - let's use the PHP Sessions - again with the $_CONF parm.

Blaine