[geeklog-devel] portal.php and Google

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Sep 7 13:23:51 EDT 2004

Now here's an interesting effect of Geeklog's portal.php that I haven't
noticed before. A Google search for a certain musician brings up, amongst
others, this result:

CD Baby: VANESSA PETERS: Sparkler - hear and buy it at CD BABY.
Vanessa Peters Sparkler ... 2003 Vanessa Peters. CD List price: $16.94.
CD Baby Price: $11.99 ADD TO CART. IN STOCK. ORDER NOW. Will ship within
24 hours! ...
www.handful-of-sparks.de/portal.php/link/20040827211701114 - 21k - 5 Sep 2004

The URL is from the links section of one of my sites, but the contents
are not (the actual URL is <http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/vanessapeters>).

This probably has to do with a change introduced in Geeklog 1.3.9:
portal.php is now using header('Location: ...') to do the redirect
instead of the Meta refresh that earlier versions were using.

Not sure if this should be considered a feature or a bug. While the owner
of the Geeklog site may like it, the owner of the linked site most
probably won't like it that much ...

Thoughts?

http://www.handful-of-sparks.de/