[geeklog-devel] Interview with a comment spammer

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Feb 1 16:28:43 EST 2005

FYI: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/31/link_spamer_interview/>

Nothing too surprising here.

However, this part:

| They usually target comments to old posts, so they won't show up to
| people reading the latest ones, though search engine spiders will spot
| them and index them.

... reminded me that I have here a half-finished patch that automatically
blocks comments to stories after a certain time, provided by a Geeklog
user. So, after say, 14 days, users can't comment on a story any more,
but the admin still can.

That patch actually worked but there was a problem with the permissions
for the admin override (a poll admin should be able to post a comment on
a poll, etc.). And, of course, it was against the old code, before
Vinny's recent changes.

Vinny, should I dig it out and/or contact the submitter? Or is this
something you'd be interested to do yourself?

http://www.handful-of-sparks.de/