[geeklog-devel] Spam, spam, bacon, eggs, and spam

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Feb 9 16:14:59 EST 2005

Our special "friend" continues to flood geeklog.info with trackback spam.
A few of them went through since he now also seems to start using HTML
entities to obfuscate his posts:

>&#111;nl&#105;n&#101; p&#111;k&#101;r</a> von &
>#111;nl&#105;n&#101; p&#111;k&#101;r<br>
>Please visit some information in the field of online
>poker poker party poker

Tom, would you consider this a feature request? ;-)

No forum spam (at all) on geeklog.info, btw. Maybe because the site's in
German?

I made a small modification to the forum submission forms on geeklog.net
to include a random number in a hidden field. This was just for testing
since I wanted to find out if he actually parses the forms or not. The
random number would have shown up in the SpamX notification emails if he
did, but it didn't.

There's a plugin for Wordpress that does this: It includes a randomly
named field with a random value into the submission form and if that
field and value are not included in the POST data, the post is discarded
right away.

They actually add the field with JavaScript to make it even more
difficult. But then I wouldn't be able to post using Lynx, so maybe
that's too extreme a measure (yet) ;-)

Anyway, the war is on and the enemy isn't sleeping ...

http://www.haun.info/