[geeklog-devel] Filtering in GL2

Blaine Lang geeklog at langfamily.ca
Sun Jan 2 13:52:14 EST 2005

I wanted to send out an update on this and what I am thinking right now.
I've been looking at other projects and how we do the current filtering and
sanitizing of variables and have the following summary of requirements.

This is a generic list and some functions are now handled by the GL2 DB
Extraction layer but I am thinking we develop this new class and introduce
it in GL 1.3.X as well.

We have several requirements
1: Sanitize and filter incoming data variables and remove any potentially
hostile data
   - Javascript, SQL Injections
   - sanitize numeric id's
2: Filter data that is not allowed
   - Javascript, HTML tags not allowed
   - Censor
3: Prepare data for SQL inserts
   - Create clickable links
   - Validate Email and URL links
   - Handle quotes  (addslashes if necessary)
   - SPAM Filter
4: Prepare data for display
   - Convert HTML entities, Newlines to <br /> tags, BBcode like [code] and
[quote], autotags
   - stripslashes
   - Create crawler friendly links
5: Prepare data for edit
  - Convert HTML that was added for [code] back to BBcode tag for easier
editing
  - remove extra <br /> tags but not within [code] tags

A lot of what we need is already in the KSES class and our other COM
functions.
The KSES Class can be extended to create the missing functions and then
document the best practices.

Please review and let me know if you agree with this approach.