[geeklog-devel] Trackback support in CVS

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Jan 16 14:31:27 EST 2005

Okay, the first major new feature (at least as far as code changes are
concerned) for Geeklog 1.3.12 is now in CVS:

It's now possible to send and receive trackback comments with Geeklog.

If you have no idea what trackback is, here's a nice summary:
<http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtmanual_trackback.html#trackback>

Since this is probably not a feature that you want to use on a serious /
business-oriented site, it can be switched off easily:

    $_CONF['trackback_enabled'] = false;

Trackback is only supported for articles and I don't see a need to
implement it for any other of the built-in things like links or events.
There is, however, a plugin interface so plugins can easily make use of
it (and Geeklog does almost all of the work).

This has only been tested with the MT standalone trackback script as well
as with Geeklog itself. I'd be interested in any real-life experience
with other weblogs.

It will probably also need some tweaks to improve usability. Comments and
suggestions welcome ...

Btw, with the exception of a small piece of code that actually sends the
trackback comment, this have been written from scratch. There are
existing libraries for trackback comments, but most of the needed code
was Geeklog-specific anyway. And it was much more fun this way :-)

http://www.handful-of-sparks.de/