[geeklog-devel] Table locking

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 09:55:54 EST 2005

Just posted the following to the thread.

-Vinny

----------

Assuming your hosting service is making up a lame excuse not to give
you LOCK TABLES privileges there are a couple things you can do:

0. Tell your host that you want "LOCK TABLE" priveleges or you'll take
your business else where, all the excuses I've seen on this thread
seem very lame. Smile

1. Remove all the "LOCK TABLE" "UNLOCK TABLE" SQL calls from
comment.php. This should be okay if you have a low traffice site, but
opens up the possiblity of corruption if two or more users try to save
or delete comments at the same time.

2. Upgrade to InnoDB tables. There is a script in the admin directory
to do this. Then change every instance of "LOCK TABLE XXX" to "START
TRANSACTION" and every instance of "UNLOCK TABLE XXX" to "COMMIT". The
only downside to this is that it is untested and will only work with
InnoDB tables. If anyone tries this let me know how it works.

I appologize to everyone for the problems that the LOCK statements are
causing. They were implemented to improve comment display performance
(which was misserable).

Good Luck,
Vinny

P.S. Dirk, do you want to this to the FAQ?