[geeklog-devel] Wiki docs

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Jul 19 15:22:57 EDT 2007

To pick this thread up again ...

Rob Griffiths wrote:

>Rank the 'difficulty' (in advance) of each section of the wiki that
>needs to be worked on, and assign dollar values based on difficulty.
>Easy write-ups are worth $1x, medium is $1.5x, and tough is $3x (or
>whatever). Finished sections are reviewed by someone on the Geeklog
>team, and if they are deemed to be acceptable, the bounty is paid.
>This should drive writers to write the fewest words possible to
>adequately describe a given feature, as they don't make more money by
>writing longer entries.

Well, I certainly don't feel qualified to make any judgement on the
complexity - or the results (in terms of contents and language).

Assuming we find someone willing to step in as an "editor", we could try
this out by setting aside a certain amount from our bounties. Then
identify a few places that need work (or, more likely, even initial
articles) and see what happens.

On the other hand, who's going to do anything in the wiki then, if
they're not paid for it? I would have hoped the wiki provided a way for
those to contribute who aren't programmers. That this hasn't happened
may have different reasons altogether, e.g. the fact that you have to
apply for an account (a special thanks to the spammers) or even the
current state of the wiki, with the - IMHO - confusing separation into
documentation for 1.3 and 1.4.

Geeklog Day at FrOSCon: August 25, 2007 - See you there!
http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/geeklog-day-at-froscon