[geeklog-devel] Plugin help --- Package Extractor

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Thu Jun 14 19:57:51 EDT 2007

At 10:06 AM 6/14/2007, you wrote:
>Joe, while all this sounds good, it duplicates everything PEAR
>does.  Just a note you can do all this stuff with an embedded PEAR
>installation (read: no dependency on a system-level PEAR
>installation).  While people are trying out Joe's code (which is
>good) I'd wish people would do more than just stare blindly at the
>PEAR stuff committed months ago.  A little TLC and it will do
>everything Joe's trying to do minus having to manage the core code
>that manages packages, etc.
>
>Feel free to drop this note in the Trash folder, but figured i'd
>remind everybody this sort of stuff is there in a way that is a lot
>less work us.  Not that I'm bitter ;-)

I think explaining to folks how to setup a PEAR repository is a lot
harder than how to setup geeklog. And people get geeklog screwed up
all the time. I doubt you read the installation help forums at
geeklog.net but everyday someone else needs help. Dirk directs them
to a couple FAQs and then the next day they're posting the path/url
section of their config.php so we can understand just what they've
screwed up because even with a bunch very straightforward directions
and faqs, people don't get it right. Once my plugin is working well,
I would hope it would get into the core because installing plugins is
the next big headache.

The core problem is people who do not understand the difference among
files, directory paths and urls are the target audience for CMS
software. Anything we can do to make that easier for the devs to
support helps. Also, remember, there is no reason why there can't be
both my plugin and the PEAR channels. If the PEAR channel were
completed, my plugin could hook into it too. Remember I'm writing
this as a device to reduce the amount of support requests on the
website. I don't know if I'll succeed, but I think a targeted
solution will work better than just throwing PEAR at the problem.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com