[geeklog-devel] GPLv3

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sat Jun 30 10:43:37 EDT 2007

At 09:59 AM 6/30/2007, Dirk Haun wrote:
>In our case, the problem was that the plugin API is not a strict API, as
>plugins will still have to use some global variables and data
>structures. So they have to be under the GPL as well. And while you can
>still sell a GPLed plugin, there's no way of stopping anyone from
>distributing it then.

It wouldn't really be that difficult to firm up the plugin API. Just
create a few simple getter/setter functions and direct globals
references are taken care of.

Or even just make reference functions:

// sneak into lib-plugin.php
function &plugin_get_config() {
     global $_CONF; return $_CONF;
}

function my_secret_plugin_function() {
     $_CONF = plugin_get_config();
     // no code changes after that
}

Make similar functions for $_USER, all the $LANGxx vars and whatever
else there is I can't think of at the moment and you have a proper
API that is backward compatible with every existing plugin with just
a few changes to how you get reference to the globals.

----

Of course, the real problem area is the javascript parts of Geeklog.
Once a user agent downloads the javascript, the website has partially
distributed a GPL'd program to someone and that person now has the
right to ask for all the GPL'd source code that is part of that
distribution. That includes any customizations made by the website admin.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com