[geeklog-devel] caching template library

Michael Jervis mjervis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 08:34:35 EDT 2007

> I'd like to hear some comments, please, from those who initially tried
> to speed up or otherwise improve the template class. Mike and Vinny, I
> think, did the most work there. Guys, did you have a chance to play with
> Joe's changes?

I had a play with them in the initial state, and it did show a marked
improvement in performance, however, there were some functional issues
that Joe has now resolved and I haven't re-run my perf tests on it due
to lack of time.

My approaches were to totally replace the templating library with
allegedly faster alternatives, with an adapter pattern. This resulted
in slower geeklog. I then tried re-factoring chunks of geeklog (where
looping was used) with the faster alternatives (and an adapter
pattern) and got an improvement, but not a huge one.

Joe's approach is to improve the performance of PHPLIb by compiling
it's templates and caching them, it does speed things up

Mike