[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-cvs] Geeklog-1.x

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Nov 25 09:54:25 EST 2007

Mark R. Evans wrote:

>So no template caching for 1.5?

Correct.

>I guess I don't understand how there could be all the discussion here months
>ago about doing something about the template library and then when someone
>does something that works incredibly well, is 100% backward compatible and
>provides a performance increase it is tossed aside.

The discussion months ago didn't provide a solution, then a feature
freeze was called and only then did this new version arrive. Bad timing.
Better luck next time.

>I guess I don't understand how this can be set aside and core changes that
>simply don't work (pure CSS commit moving header to COM_siteFooter -
>references variable that don't even exist or get passed, doesn't support
>dynamic columns, etc.) get in the codebase.

We just have to draw a line somewhere. There is so much stuff that
doesn't work (properly or sometimes even not at all) in CVS that we
should address now to get this release out of the door. Instead, people
(inside and outside of the core team) are coming up with "Ooh, can we
add this, please? It's the last thing, I promise!" all the time :-/

The XHTML patch was scary due to its size but pretty trivial on closer
inspection. I'd say any problems it may introduce will be spotted easily
enough. And unlike the template stuff, XHTML support is actually
something that a signifant amount of our users have been requesting for
some time now. So given the fact that someone went through the trouble
to provide such a patch (twice), I was willing to make one final exception.

But that's it now - no more new features for 1.5. Let's get working on
the remaining issues, please.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/