[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Document structure

Oliver Spiesshofer oliver at spiesshofer.com
Wed Sep 26 06:27:25 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I sometimes come across the necessity to store a variety of documents in
HTML such as manuals, specification docs, regulations, etc.
Then I realize, that there is no really professional way to do this in
Geeklog.
The static pages store the right kind of document, but lack a way to
group items together in a tree-hierarchy, and to automatically create a
menu for that that can be comfortably browsed to find things in a larger
amount of documents.

So what to do? I thought that the easiest thing might be to add such a
tree-directory function to the static pages just as we did now for the
links in CVS.
However I also thought that we are duplicating efforts here, we have the
topics for the stories, the categories for the links, and if we start
those for the static pages as well its all terribly decentralized.
Tags wont do the trick because they do not offer a good way to navigate,
rather a good help for searching.

So a centralized hierarchical topic-plugin might do the trick. A central
function that provides a tree-structure and a menu in a block, and a
good admin-interface that allows to add static pages, links, events and
static pages to it - basically a subtopic feature where what belongs to
a topic is managed by the plugin instead of the story/links/elements
added, and display those in short lists instead of spreading them all
over the page so things can be found by clicking through the tree.

Then however, it might be better to try to enable hierarchical topics
right away. we would have to store a parent-topic-id for each topic,
revamp the topicblock to display the hierarchy and allow all elements
such as events to show only in certain topics, and find out a way how to
easier list items that are only now available but not before like the
short lists mentioned above.

I once thought to convert my multilanguage-faq into a general document
storage, but thought the static pages are doing a fine job while they
only lack structure.

now i was wondering if you had any ideas what to do best.

thanks!

Oliver