[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Mark R. Evans mevans at ecsnet.com
Wed Apr 9 10:39:11 EDT 2008

Generally a re-branding is something that is done to support a much larger
effort, a new focus or a new direction.  To re-brand or rename just for the
sake of a change is, in my opinion, a large effort with very little
benefit.  Cost and effort are high, not to mention, the limitation of domain
names to choose from...

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose. By any other name would smell
as sweet;"

Geeklog is what it is.  If there is a perception that it is dead then I
would address that perception directly.  Why is it perceived to be dead?
Lack of releases?  Lack of documentation?  Lack of a growing developer
base?  Lack of direction? Lack of communication? Lack of themes? Lack of
plugins?  Lack of community? I won't offer any answers to this question,
that I'll leave to the core team to figure out.  My only advice is to
understand why there is a negative perception and address those issues
directly.

Solve the identify crisis that is Geeklog.  Define what it is and
standardize on that definition.  With a little effort you can find Geeklog
defined as 3 distinct tools, a blog, a CMS and an application development
framework.  It is all of those, but how do you summarize this into something
that can be the center or focus of a marketing theme?  Dirk summed it up
well in his Using Geeklog as an Application Development Framework
presentation;  Geeklog is; An application to manage dynamic web content.
Rally around that statement, build on it and publicize it.

Changing the name, in my opinion, would simply be a distraction from real
work that needs to be done (release 1.5, write documentation, figure out how
to put up a tracker, clean up the downloads area on geeklog.net, update the
developer tools; universal toolkit and documentation, define some
development standards, i.e.; core technology directions for style sheets,
javascript librarys, etc.).

I think the idea of profiling Geeklog sites is a great marketing tool.  It
also shows off what can be done with Geeklog.  It also shows off the user
base, the flexibility and scalability of Geeklog.

Thanks!
Mark