[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Apr 9 14:38:50 EDT 2008

Sounds like a majority of people seem to agree with conflicts with the name.  I think you can file arguments for changing the name into a couple buckets:

1) Marketing.  This is as much about making it "sound" good as it is performing well.  Is it the desire of GL developers to see their work used in more professional areas?  I know I can answer yes to that and I can't tell you how uncomfortable it is to use the "Geeklog" name in from of a 50yr old manager type who knows little about technology.

2) Perception of change.  Let's face it...back when I was running the project until now Geeklog has changed tremendously.  All GL devs seem to hate the CMS label it gets.   If we want to really redefine what GL is to us, a name change could help make that point. To also help this, we are literally nearing a end of development before the first GL2 alpha.  To help usher in all this change maybe a coordinated effort to change the name and release both 1.5 and GL2 alpha1 all at once?

Finally, more to Mark's concerns I don't see this as a distraction at all.  I think if we all agree to make the name change then we can define a community process for collecting feedback and all that can be happening while 1.5 and GL2a1 development wraps up.  I also feel strongly about item #1 above and this is over 7yrs of experience with the tool talking.  I think all this stuff harnessed and coordinated can really generate some buzz which is definitely a good thing.

--Tony