[geeklog-devel] 1.5 error.log when DB dies

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Wed Aug 13 13:51:33 EDT 2008

At 01:31 PM 8/13/2008, Tony Bibbs wrote:
><snip>
>
>What am I missing now?
></snip>
>
>Most caching scenarios go like so:

<snip>Hello?!?? Author of the Caching Template Library here. The CTL
can cache instances of filled in templates. Perhaps I know a lot
about how caching works.
http://www.glfusion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=8024 But that's
just a tangent....

>So if you have 10 geeklog sites the answer is to make sure $someKey
>is unique.  This would be pretty easy, just pick something unique
>from the configuration file (site_url, path, etc) and use it as the key.
>
>$someKey = md5($_CONF['site_url'] . '_' . $_CONF['path_logs']);

Have you forgotten the whole point of this exercise?

If you had $_CONF['path_logs'] available YOU WOULD NOT NEED TO
RETRIEVE IT FROM CACHE. Likewise, if the database is down
$_CONF['site_url'] is unavailable.

Now here is the important part: There is ///nothing/// unique in
siteconfig.php.

Tony wrote:
>1) Cache the location of the ////log directory//// using PEAR's
>Cache_Lite or Zend_Cache.  By caching the location to the ////log
>dir//// to a file you get out of this, yet, still allow use of
>DB-settings. [emphasis added]

My response was to put path_logs into siteconfig.php. Put something
unique into siteconfig just so you can retrieve something else from
cache is not nearly as simple as just putting $_CONF['path_logs']
into siteconfig and not shipping a whole cache library just so
error.log can find its place.

I believe I've proven I am NOT missing anything. Where do I send the
medical bill for the head trauma caused by my head repeated slamming
into a brick wall?

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games