[geeklog-devel] Question about internationalization and look-ups

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sun Feb 17 10:10:44 EST 2008

At 04:10 AM 2/17/2008, Michael Jervis wrote:
>Then each module has it's translation file (homePage.en.php for example):
><?php
>
>$_LANGUAGE = array_merge($_LANGUAGE, array(
>     'homepagewelcome' => 'Welcome to Snakenet',
>     'TuneInBlock' => 'Tune In'
>));
>?>

So what happens when 2 different modules use the same key for two
different meanings? In essence, your solution is the same as the GL1
solution but GL1 at least avoids potential collisions better. In
fact, there are only two flaws with the GL1 solution and neither is
hard to overcome:
1) Early implementations used numeric indexes instead of contextual
text indexes.
2) By tradition, no default language file is loaded first.

Refactoring GL1 to solve these two problems would not be hard, just tedious.

>Either way, it's a pain in the arse to keep your translations in
>synch, but, at least with My Way you always get a default string
>(typically in English).

Actually, your method suffers the same problem as GL1. You either
load a specific language file or the english file. So if the
alternate language file is out of sync, you potentially have missing
text. Makes more sense to do this (both in GL1 and your translate class):

include_once $_CONF['path_language'] . 'english.php';
if ($lang != 'english') { // in GL1 also check $lang != 'english_utf8'
     @include_once $_CONF['path_language'] . $lang . '.php';
}

Of course, the new caching template library adds another dimension to
this. Static page text can be placed right in the template files and
the cache file is language dependent. So if you have a template like this:
-- greeting.thtml
--
The English cached version is

while the French cached version might be (I'm no expert in French):
$this->val_echo('username'); ?></div>

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games