[geeklog-devel] JavaScript Libraries

Mark R. Evans mevans at ecsnet.com
Tue Jan 1 09:58:19 EST 2008

Happy New Year!

I wanted to get everyone's opinion and thoughts on the various
JavaScript libraries that are available.  There are several good
libraries out there, MooTools, JQuery, Prototype, etc...  One thing I've
found is they don't always play nicely together.  Before I get too
carried away with implementing features in Media Gallery and Chameleon,
I thought it might be worthwhile to discuss future directions for both
Geeklog and plugins.

Currently, I have one major feature in Media Gallery (Lightbox
slideshow) that is using MooTools.  I was playing with some JavaScript
tooltips for the Forum and other areas and found a nice DHTML/JS tooltip
package by Walter Zorn (wz_tooltip), but quickly discovered that it was
incompatible with MooTools (breaks the Lightbox slideshow).   I decided
it would probably be best if I continued to use MooTools based
solutions, but if Geeklog and / or other plugins are planning on
adopting another library, we may have some issues.

Since I only have one released feature using MooTools, changing is an
option now.  But I would like to implement some additional features in
the next Media Gallery

  - Accordian Menus
  - JS/SWF based uploaded
  - Image Zoom View
  - Additional JS slideshows
  - Various image display tricks

All of this can be done using MooTools, but I'm sure I could accomplish
it with another library as well.

Has anyone else already implemented or planning on implementing a
different JS library?  Pros / Cons of the various libs?

I would love to see us come to an agreement on a specific toolset so we
can all move in the same direction, help each other and leverage each
others work.

Thanks!
Mark