[geeklog-devel] lib-layout.php

Mark R. Evans mevans at ecsnet.com
Fri Jan 4 00:28:17 EST 2008

If you look at what Chameleon does, it actually duplicates 99% of the
code in COM_siteHeader() and COM_siteFooter(). The 1% I left out was the
logic on whether the left / right blocks are built in the header /
footer.  We had to add a lot of code to do things the new CSS based way
as well.   Chameleon renders the full page in COM_siteFooter() which is
very different from how the stock functions work.  Originally, all I had
COM_siteHeader() do was set the global variables for the parameters
passed.  It wasn't until I realized that some plugins don't buffer the
COM_siteHeader() call or their output that I created a new template,
htmlheader.thtml and now send the HTML headers in COM_siteHeader().  The
rest of the heavy lifting is all done in COM_siteFooter().  The #1 goal
of this approach is to render the content first, then the left / right
if enabled.  Unless I'm missing something, the only way to do it as
Geeklog is currently designed is to do it in the COM_siteFooter() call,
along with a little PHP magic to force the buffering of plugins /
Geeklog's content.

 From the perspective of the Chameleon approach, adding a set of
functions with the template handle as a parameter won't give me the
control I need to accomplish what we're doing.  I can certainly see some
value for themes that continue to use the table based structure.  It
would add the ability to easily add or modify certain aspects of the
templates.

Personally, I would just remove COM_siteHeader() / COM_siteFooter()
completely from lib-common.php and put it in the themes functions.php.
Generally the first step in creating a new Geeklog theme is to copy
Professional over and start hacking.  I don't see the functions.php as
any different than a specific template file.   This would give each
theme full control over the functions without having any duplicate or
unnecessary code sitting around.

Obviously this would have to be a staged approach.  Maybe in v1.5 you
have if (!function_exists('COM_siteHeader')) ... so it is duplicated in
both places (lib-common and function.php), but it gives a safety net for
folks with custom themes to just make the necessary template changes
after upgrading.  Then in 1.5.1 or 1.6 or whatever is the next major
release, they come out of lib-common.php completely.

If they stay in lib-common and are enhanced by new functions in
lib-layout.php, I would ask that the ability to override by the theme
not be removed.

Thanks!
Mark