[geeklog-devel] Call for ideas and mentors for the SoC 2008

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Jan 13 13:14:16 EST 2008

Should Google decide to run the Summer of Code program again this year,
we can probably expect an announcement sometime in February, followed by
a short application phase for projects.

So assuming we want to take part again this year, it's about time we
start collecting ideas.

We would also need mentors. I don't know about Tony and Blaine, but I've
decided to take only one student this year. Matt and Ramnath were great
to work with and mostly found their way through Geeklog's traps and
pitfalls without my help, but I always felt guilty for not spending
enough time with them.

So I think we should try and get some "fresh blood" on board this year.
Which includes former students, btw (something that Google encourages).

Also, I think we don't need to restrict ourselves to the core Geeklog
code - we could easily take a few plugins under the Geeklog umbrella.
There already was some interest in an e-commerce plugin last year, but
improving existing plugins would also suit the program nicely, I would think.

I've cleaned up the Wiki page for your perusal:

    http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/