[geeklog-devel] thoughts on frequent updates

1000ideen at gmx.de 1000ideen at gmx.de
Fri Jul 4 08:27:43 EDT 2008

I followed the discussion on a "road map" ans also on the next update. I understand that a road map shows something like reliability but why are 2 updates per year necessary?

In my mind fewer updates show more reliability of the product.

One key problem is that users with many installations simply don`t want to update frequently. Even an annual update can be too much. I usually omit it when possible.

Don`t forget that some updates required a new badbehavior or other plugin and the changes of the theme are very time consuming. So it is not just updating GL, it is a complete new pack.

I really hope that GL will have a security support cycle of at least 2 years and does not release updates with a theme or necessary plugin change more than ones a year. I wouldn`t mind a bug fix update in the meantime as long as it doesn`t touch the theme or requires plugin changes.

Another problem is that the last releases hardly had any advantages for the user but only for the admin or plugin developer. And don`t forget that more and more people install Geeklog through a hoster`s  autoinstaller like fantastico or similar. Those beginner "admins" have great trouble updating anything at all.

Thanks, Markus

Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx