[geeklog-devel] The road ahead - post 1.5.0

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Mon Jun 23 15:55:57 EDT 2008

Michael Jervis wrote:

>I would like to propose an alternative, ever so slightly radical approach.
>
>I think we should have a roadmap, and we should stick to set time releases.
>
>I think we should aim to have Geeklog 1.5.1 out by the end of July

And here I thought my proposed schedule was radical ...

I've said on more than one occassion that I think our release cycles are
too long (1.5.0 was just an extreme case) and that I'd prefer something
like 2 releases per year.

But are you sure we can pull this off? If this were a full-time project,
I'd say sure, no problem. But we're all doing this in our spare time. We
have jobs, family, other commitments and interests.

I can only see this working with some very, very strict restrictions on
what and what not to add.

>I think we should aim to have Geeklog 1.5.1 out by the end of July, it
>should have a specific set of items in it.
>
>1) Bug fixes
>2) Community contributed ready-to-go patches (CTL and any others).

That would be 5 weeks then?

Not sure if the CTL is "ready to go". It may work as the hack that it
is, but a proper integration requires more work, starting with an
integration into the Configuration panel, the resulting DB and language
file changes.

Speaking of language file changes: There's also the issue of
translations - those take time.

Just sayin' ...

http://www.haun-online.de/accu/