[geeklog-devel] The road ahead - post 1.5.0

Sami Barakat furiousdog at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:30:48 EDT 2008

2008/6/23 Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de>:

> Blaine Lang wrote:
>
> >- I also would like to see us decide that PHP5 and possibly MySQL 4+ are
> >the minimal requirements and evolve our code to use a more PHP5 OO design.
>
> We owe our users a bugfixed 1.5.0 that still works on PHP 4 (I did
> actually see someone mentioning they were on PHP 4.1.2 or something
> equally ancient in the forums just today or yesterday). But for 1.5.1
> and later it doesn't make sense any more to insist on compatibility with
> PHP 4.
>
> Not sure where to draw the line with MySQL. Official support for MySQL
> 3.23 ended quite a while ago. What does MySQL 4 buy us over 3.23? What
> about 4.1?

One bonus of MySQL 4.0 is allowing Full-Text searches to be done using
boolean operators. As you may know, as part of my GSoC project, I plan to
implement Full-Text indexing on databases that want it, commonly very large
sites. The admin will decide if they want it enabled when
installing/upgrading. The advantage of Full-Text is it allows searching to
be done in a fraction of the time it currently takes. Full-Text was
introduced in 3.23. If the minimum requirements was set at 4.0 it could go a
step further and allow users to search for items in boolean mode, meaning
terms like "+apple +juice -tree" will return results that contain both
"apple" and "juice" but not "tree". It might be a pointless feature on some
sites but its relatively simple to implement.
>From what I have heard there have been numerous changes to the Full-Text
feature in MySQL between the versions 3.23 - 4.0 - 4.1. I have also herd
reports that it doesn't scale well, but I am not sure how true this is. I
will be doing tests to find out how it performs on the different versions.
Maybe you can take this into consideration when deciding the minimum
requirements.
Full-Text is also available on Microsoft SQL Server 2000, will this minimum
requirement stay the same? There have been some performance improvments done
in SQL Server 2005.

ref:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/fulltext-boolean.html

Sami