[geeklog-devel] Going Mercurial

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Jun 25 15:41:44 EDT 2008

So, as mentioned before, we're going to try out a DVCS during this
year's Summer of Code. We're going with Mercurial, mainly because nobody
came forward in favour of any of the other systems in time ;-)

This is an experiment, not a final decision.

I've started a wiki page:

  <http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/Using_Mercurial>

The Best Practices section needs to be filled in. The links to the
Mercurial wiki should provide some starters.

Currently, this is aimed at our GSoC students working on 1.x. The idea
is that you can check out from a central repository and then have a
local copy that you can check in against. So you get the benefits of a
version control system (being able to roll back changes, seeing what you
changed, etc.).

This is also an easy way to show off what you've done to your mentor and
interested members of the community. Just run "hg serve" and point them
to your IP address.

Later on, when you get the account information from your mentor, you can
check things back into the main repository ("push", in Mercurial's
terminology). Btw, a repository that has been checked out anonymously
can be used to check things back in under a specific account, so that
shouldn't be a problem.

That's the basic idea. From here on, everything's open for discussion.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/