[geeklog-devel] The road ahead - post 1.5.0
dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Jun 26 15:21:44 EDT 2008
Michael Jervis wrote:
>OK so do we want to start figuring out which bugs are critical for
>1.5.[1|0-1] using Mantis and assigning them a status that indicates
>such and assigning them out?
Yes. Too bad that Mantis doesn't support voting on bugs yet. Feel free
to leave comments on the existing issues so we get an idea what's
considered important (or not).
Also, I'd say issues that aren't in the bugtracker simply don't exist,
at least for the long and mid-term strategy. Of course, if an issue is
easier to fix than to write a bug report for, then it should be fixed
right away instead.
>Should we then start using Mantis to create a sub-project for
>1.5.[2|1] with feature requests (or whatever mantis has) to indicate
>what we should be building for it? Moving bugs we don't plan to fix in
>1.5.[1|0-1] into fix for that if they are too big or whatever?
Yes. For postponed bugs/features, we could either create new custom
fields or set the "fixed" drop-down to some future version number and/or
the bug's status to "suspended". In other words, we'll find a way to
mark the postponed issues somehow.
Subprojects may come in handy for bigger changes that require several
separate steps / changes.
>Do we reserve version numbers for that then? 1.5.0 has fixes 1.5.1,
>1.5.2 etc and the next release is 1.6?
Nothing wrong with that, but I don't see how that would spare us from
having to release a security update for all 3 1.5.x versions?
>Since geeklog2 is now aptitude,
>can we decide when gl1 gets to be GL2? Or does it?
I think we should skip the version number 2 to avoid confusion. Nothing
wrong with 1.10, 1.11, and so on. And then jump right to 3 when we get
some really great feature ;-)
>if we release 1.5.0-1 as a bug fix only release, and we have a
>security issue, do we have to do 1.5.0sr1 and 1.5.0-1sr1?
1.5.0-1 would replace 1.5.0 as the baseline release supported, so that
would only be 1.5.0-1sr1. Been there, done that: 1.3.8, 1.3.8-1,
1.3.8-1sr1 ... 1.3.8-1sr4.
>So we could identify "must have" translations where we have a reliable
>fast translator (such as German ;-)) and make sure the translator
>knows the road-map in advance and can have plenty of warning as we get
>ready and thus having the translations will be manageable.
I guess the readers of geeklog-translations were better informed about
the release plans for 1.5.0 than the readers of this mailing list ;-) In
other words, I've already tried that.
Oh, and btw, the German translation was the work of Markus Wollschläger
this time around.
>Anyone else want to chime in? Sounds workable to me...
More information about the geeklog-devel