[geeklog-devel] 'Fallback to local login' and 'no service selector' options

Blank, Jessica Jessica.Blank at mtvnmix.com
Wed Mar 5 15:07:39 EST 2008

Hi gang.

1) As noted before, our LDAP users are used to using only LDAP.. but most of them don't know what LDAP -is-, and would be confused if they saw a Service dropdown.

Therefore, I wish to submit a patch which offers a 'no service selector' option; if there is only one service/authentication method available, and this option will set, the service selector won't even be displayed (and a hidden form field would pass the single available service method).

By default, of course, this option will be set to 'false'.

But this would be a nice feature for enterprise users (such as MTV) with only one auth method and a plethora of users who don't know/don't care what auth method they use, they just are used to entering 'their username' and 'their password' and having it work (or not). :)

===

2) To give site administrators on a site that uses remote auth (e.g. LDAP) the option of retaining a few local-only users (such as the geeklog default Admin user, which they can use to administrate Geeklog itself), I would also like to submit a small patch which will add a 'fallback to local login' option. When this option is selected, the login method selected would be tried first-- but if that failed, it would try a local login next. (If THAT fails, the login fails, obviously.)

===

Would these two patches be accepted should I submit them? These are options which I believe woul be useful to enterprise users. (Both would default to 'false', of course.)